How to Add More Activity to Your Day
Updated: Apr 19
The CDC recently published findings about adult physical inactivity in the US and the results were pretty bleak. The data shows that in half of US states, 20% or more of the population is physically inactive* – aka NO leisure/exercise activity outside of work in the last month - none, zero, zilch. Modern technology and our modern lifestyles (Instacart, Amazon Prime, Postmates, Netflix, sitting behind your computer for 8 hours a day, which we’re all guilty of overdoing) has made us more sedentary, and it’s really hurting our health.
Regular physical activity can help prevent chronic diseases like cancer, heart disease, and diabetes, and can significantly improve our mental health. With 50% of US adults having at least one chronic disease, and nearly 30% struggling with anxiety and depression, it’s more important than ever to focus on small steps we can take to improve our health.
I didn’t start getting into a regular exercise routine until just a few years ago, and I can honestly say it has made a huge difference in my energy levels, quality of sleep, and overall happiness. Consistent exercise is also the most important factor in managing your weight long term. If you haven’t found a form of exercise you enjoy yet, keep trying! You will find something that works for you. If you’re already getting your workouts on, encourage your friends and family to do the same – garden with grandma this weekend, or meet up with mom for a walk. Let’s get our loved one moving too.
Here are some easy ways to get more activity into your day, even if you can’t make time for a real workout:
1. Take a walk at lunch
2. Set an alarm on your phone to get up and move every hour
3. Park further away
4. Get off the bus/train/subway a stop early and walk
5. Get out of your Uber a few blocks before your stop
6. Walk and talk while you’re on the phone
7. Take your dog on a longer walk
8. At work use the restroom that furthest away or on a different floor
9. Get up 15 minutes earlier and start your day with a brisk walk
10. Instead of grabbing coffee with a friend plan to meet for a walk